- Bach, C. "Know your men, know your business, know yourself." U.S. Naval
Institute Proceedings, 1974, 100, 42-45.
- Bach, C. A. "Leadership." Infantry Journal, 1918, 14, 606-612.
- Bachman, J.G. "American High School Seniors View the Military," Armed
Forces and Society, 1983, 10, 86-104.
- Bachman, J.G., Blair, J.D., & Segal, D.R. The All-Volunteer Force.
Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Press, 1977.
- Backer, D.J.J. De Nederlandse Zeemagt, in hare verschillende tijdperken
geschetst. Rotterdam: Nieuwediep, 1865.
- Bacon, W.P. A Preliminary Investigation of Training United States Air
Force Student Officers in Small-Group Leadership Through the Study of Group
Dynamics. Ph.D. Dissertation; Berkeley, California: University of California,
- Baddeley, A.D. "Selective Attention and Performance in Dangerous Environments,"
British Journal of Psychology, 1972, 63, 537-546.
- Baddett, F. J. "Motivation in stressful occupations." Unpublished Research
Report. Air War College, 1971.
- Badeau, A. Military History of Ulysses S. Grant. New York: 1882.
- Bahn, C. "Can intelligence tests predict executive performance?" Personnel,
1979, 56, 52-59.
- Bahnsen, P.F. "Improving the army." Armor, 1977, 86, 50-53.
- Bailey, F.G. Strategems and Spoils: A Social Anthropology of Politics.
Schocken: Pavilion Social Anthropology Service, 1973.
- Baily, C.W. "Senior professional schools: the Air Force and business approaches."
Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Air War College Report #4066, November 1970.
- Baker, G.A. "Motivating positively is another way of saying leadership."
Marine Corps Gazette, 1977, 61, 43-50.
- Baker, G.W. & Chapman, D.W. Man and Society in disaster. New
York: Basic Books, 1962.
- Baker, I.C. "Leadership: requisites of the leader." Vital Speeches, 1961,
- Baker, R. A., Ware, J.R., Spires, G.H. & Osborn, W.C. "The effects of
supervisory threat on decision making and risk taking in a simulated combat
game." Behavioral Science, 1966, 11, 167-176.
- Baker, T. E. Effective Police Leadership: Moving Beyond Management.
NY: Looseleaf Law Publications, Inc., 2000.
- Baldwin, J. J., III The Struck Eagle. Mane Publishing.
- Ballard, J. Circlebook: A Leader Handbook for Conducting Circletime:A
Curriculum of Affect. Mandala, 1975.
- Ballenger, J.P. "The ability of U.S. Army infantry leaders to shift perspectives."Dissertation
Abstracts International, 1980, 41, 2504-2505.
- Bambery, J.R. ROTC in Transition: A New Potential for Leadership.Carlisle
Barracks, Pennsylvania: U.S. Army, 1978.
- Bamford, P.W. Forests and French Seapower, 1666-1789. Toronto,
- Bannon Tucker, Phillip Thomas. The Confederacy's Fighting Chaplain:
Father John B. Bannon. Tuscaloosa. AL: University of Alabama, 1992.
- Barbara, J.C., & Brown, R.F. "Deep thrust on the extended battlefield."Military
Review, 1982, 62, 21-32.
- Barber, B. "The sociology of the professions." Daedalus, 1963.
- Barber, C.J. Nehemiah and The Dynamics of Effective Leadership.Loizeau,
- Barber, E.G. The Bourgeoisie in 18th Century France. Princeton,New
Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1955.
- Barber, E.G. (ed.) European Social Class: Stability and Change.New
- Barber, Herbert F. "Some Personality Characteristics of Senior MilitaryOfficers,"
in in K. E. Clark & M. B. Clark (eds.), Measures of Leadership.Greensboro,
NC: Center for Creative Leadership, 1990, pp. 441-448.
- Barber, J.D. Political Leadership in American Government. Boston:Little,
- Barber, J.D. "Adult identity and presidential style: the rhetorical emphasis."Daedalus,
1968, 97, 938-968.
- Barclay, C.N. "Morale - and the fighting man." Army, 1969, 19,
- Bardwell, R. G. "Followership." Coast Artillery Journal, 1943,
- Bare, R. A factor analytic description of the performance of enlistedpersonnel.
No city: U.S. Navy Bureau of Naval Personnel, 1959 (Technicalbulletin No.
- Barker, D.B. Military Leadership in the '70's. Maxwell AFB, Alabama:Air
War College, Air University, 1971.
- Barker, E. National Character and the Factors in its Formations.London:
- Barker, T. The Military Intellectual and Battle. Albany: 1975.
- Barlow, J.G. Reforming the Military. Washington, D.C.: The HeritageFoundation,
- Barlow, R. "The armored school teaches leadership." Armored CavalryJournal,
1948, 57, 17-25.
- Barnard, C. I. The Functions of the Executive. Cambridge: HarvardUniversity
- Barnes, J.H., Jr. Leadership development in the Air Reserve ThroughProgrammed
Learning. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Air University, Air Commandand Staff
- Barnes, P. Pawns: The Plight of the Citizen - Soldier. New York:Alfred
A. Knopf, 1972.
- Barnes, W. E. "Characteristics of leaders." Marine Corps Gazette,45,
- Barnett, C. Britain and Her Army, 1509-1970. London: Penguin Press,
- Barrow, J.C. "Some aspects of attempted, successful, and effective leadership."Academy
of Management Review, 1977, 2, 231-276.
- Barth, A.L., & Engfer, R.T. "The Agway Management Development Program:design
and implementation." Personnel Journal, 1977, ,342-347.
- Bartles, C. M. The Civil War in Missouri Day by Day, 1861-1865.
Shawnee, KS: Two Trails Genealogy Shop, 1992.
- Bartol, K.M. "Male versus female leaders: the effect of leader need fordominance
on follower satisfaction." Academy of Management Journal,17, 225-233.
- Bartol, K.M. & Butterfield, D.A. "Sex effects in evaluating leaders."Journal
of Applied Psychology, 1976, 61, 446-454.
- Bartol, K.M. & Wortman, M.S., Jr. "Male versus female leaders: effectson
perceived leader behavior and satisfaction in a hospital." PersonnelPsychology,
1975, 28, 533-547.
- Bartol, K.M. et al. "Black versus white leaders: a comparative review ofthe
literature." Academy of Management Review, 1978, 3, 293-304.
- Bartstra, J.S., Jr. Vlootherstel en Legeraugmentatie, 1770-1780.Assen:
- Basil, D.C. Measuring Skills for Executive Action. New York: AmericanManagement
- Basil, D.C. Leadership Skills for Executive Action. New York: AmericanManagement
- Bassowitz, H., Persky, H., Korchin, S.J., & Grinker, R. Anxietyand
Stress. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1955.
- Bass, A.R. "Some determinants of supervising and peer ratings." DissertationAbstracts,
1964, 24, 5526.
- Bass, B.M. Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations. New
York:The Free Press, 1985.
- Bass, B.M. Stogdill's Handbook of Leadership. New York: Free Press,
- Bass, B.M. "An analysis of the leaderless group discussion." Journalof
Applied Psychology, 1949, 33, 527-533.
- Bass, B.M. "The leaderless group discussion." Psychological Bulletin,51,
- Bass, B.M. "Leadership opinions as forecasts of supervisory success." Journalof
Applied Psychology, 1956, 40, 345-346.
- Bass, B.M. Leadership, Psychology, and Organizational Behavior.New
York: Harper, 1960.
- Bass, B.M. "Amount of participation, coalescence, and probability of decisionmaking
discussions." Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology,67, 92-94.
- Bass, B.M. "Situational tests: II. Leaderless group discussion variables."Educational
and Psychological Measurement, 1951, 11, 196-207.
- Bass, B.M. "From leaderless group discussion to the cross-national assessmentof
managers." Journal of Management, 1981, 7, 63-76.
- Bass, B.M. "Leadership: Good, better, best," Organizational Dynamics,13,
- Bass, B., Avolio, B., & Atwater, L. "The transformational and transactionalleadership
of men and women: An extension ofsome old comparisons." AppliedPsychology:
An International Review, 1996, 45, 5-34.
- Bass, B.M. & Coates, C.H. "Forecasting officer potential using theleaderless
group discussion." Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology,47,
- Bass, B.M. & Farrow, D.L. "Quantitative analyses of biographies ofpolitical
figures." Journal of Psychology, 1977, 97, 281-296.
- Bass, B.M., Flint, A.W., & Pryer, M.W. "Effects of status - esteemconflict
on subsequent behavior in groups." Baton Rouge, Louisiana: LouisianaState
University, 1957 (Mimeo.).
- Bass, B.M., Flint, A.W., & Pryer, M.W. "Group effectiveness as a functionof
attempted and successful leadership." Baton Rouge, Louisiana: LouisianaState
university, 1957 (Mimeo.).
- Bass, B.M. & Klubeck, S. "Amenability to leadership training relatedto
leadership status." American Psychologist, 1952, 7, 310.
- Bass, B.M., Waldman, D.A., Avolio, B.J., & Bebb, M. "Transformationalleadership
and the falling dominoes effect." Group and OrganizationStudies,
1987, 12, 73-87.
- Bass, B.M. et al. "On the assessment of the training value of small groupexercises
for managers." Rochester, New York: University of Rochester,Management Research
Center of the College of Business Administration, 1968.
- Bates, D. Lincoln in the Telegraph Office. New York: 1907.
- Bates, F.L. "The coordination of maintenance activities in bomb wings:Synchronization
and performance." Chapel Hill, North Carolina: Universityof North Carolina,
Institute for Research in Social Science, 1953.
- Bates, V.H. The Commander's Role in the Problem of Equal Opportunity.Maxwell
AFB, Alabama: Air University, Air War College, 1964.
- Battelle Memorial Institute. Effective Leadership: Perceptions of Newcomersand
Old Timers in the Navy. Seattle: Battelle Memorial Institute, 1974(Technical
Report No. 5).
- Battelle Memorial Institute. Development of a Critical Incident BasedMeasure
of Leader power. Seattle: Battelle Memorial Institute, 1975(Technical
report No. 6).
- Battelle Memorial Institute. Characteristics of Critical LeadershipIncidents
in the Navy. Seattle: Battelle Memorial Institute, 1975 (TechnicalReport
- Battelle Memorial Institute. Effects of Leadership Power Applied toDifferent
Kinds of Organizational Problems: A Critical Incident Approach.Seattle:
Battelle Memorial Institute, 1975 (Technical Report No. 8).
"Battle staff: fine tuning." TIG Brief, 1978, 30, 12.
- Bauer, K. The Mexican War. New York: 1974.
- Baugh, D.A. British Naval Administration in the Age of Walpole.Princeton:
Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Baughman, L. J. Leadership: Academic Research of theory. CarlisleBarracks,
Pennsylvania: Army War College, 1972.
- Baumgardner, J.F. An Investigation into the Applicability of Creativityin
the Military Organization. Monterey, California: U.S. Naval PostgraduateSchool,
- Baumgartel, H. "Leadership, motivations, and attitudes in research laboratories."Journal
of Social Issues, 1956, 12, 24-31.
- Bayes, M. and Newton, P.M. "Women in authority: a sociopsychological analysis."Journal
of Applied Behavioral Science, 1978, 14, 7-25.
- Bayne, M. G. Professional military education, a precious national asset.Washington,
D.C.: National Defense University research Directorate, 1976.
- Baynes, C. Morale: A Study of Men and Courage. New York: Praeger,
- Baynes, J.C. The Soldier in Modern Society. London: Eyre Methuen,
- Beach, B.H., Mitchell, T.R., & Beach, L.R. Components of situationalfavorableness
and Probability of Success. Arlington, Virginia: AdvancedResearch Projects
Agency, Office of Naval Research, 1975.
- Beal, G.M., Bohlen, J.M., & Raudabaugh, J.N. Leadership and DynamicGroup
Action. Ames, Iowa: the Iowa State University Press, 1962.
- Beatty, J.K. & Hales, J.A. "The infantry platoon leader." Infantry,68,
- Beatty, R.W. "Blacks as supervisors: a study of training, job performance,and
employers' expectations." Academy of Management Journal, 1973,196-200.
- Beaumont, R.A. "Military elites: drain on human resources?" Army,
- Beaumont, R.A. "Military creativity." Military Review, 1971, 51.
- Beaumont, R.A. "The young leader." Military Review, 1971, 51, 33-39.
- Beaumont, R.A. "Military fiction and role: some problems and perspectives."Military
- Beaumont, R.A. "A challenge to professionalism: leadership selection."Military
Review, 1978, 58, 77-87.
- Beaumont, R.A. "Command method: a gap in military historiography." NavalWar
College Review, 1979, 31, 61-74.
- Beaumont, R.A. "The field expedient factor." Military Review, 1980,
- Beaumont, R.A. "The implications of 3C for leadership." In J. Buck andKorb
(eds.), Military Leadership. Beverly Hills, California:Sage Publications,
- Beaumont, R.A., & Snyder, W.P. Snyder "Combat effectiveness: Paradigmsand
paradoxes." In S. C. Sarkesian (ed.), Combat Effectiveness: Cohesion,Stress
and the Volunteer Military. Beverly Hills, California: SagePublications,
- Beck, C. et al. Comparative Communist Political Leadership. NewYork:
D. McKay Co., 1973.
- Beebe, G.W., & De Bakey, M.E. Battle Casualties. Springfield,Illinois:
- Beebe, Steven A. Communicating in Small Groups: Principles and Practices.
New York, Longman, 2000.
- Beerel, Annabel C. Leadership Through Strategic Planning. Boston,
International Thomson Business Press, 1998.
- Beerling, R.F. Protestantisme en Kapitalisme: Max Weber in de Kritiek.Batavia:
- Begland, R.R. "Officer education and training in the Army: an alternativesolution."
Military Review, 1978, 58, 15-26.
- Behrens, B. "Nobles, privileges, and taxes in France at the end of theAncien
Regime." Economic History Review, 1962, blz. 451-475.
- Beishline, J.R. Military Management for National Defense. New York:Prentice-Hall,
- Belate, J.H. Typhoon of Steel: The Battle for Okinawa. New York:Harper
& row, 1970.
- Belden, T. G. The Language of Command. Washington, D.C.: Institutefor
defense Analysis, 1962.
- Bell, G.B. & Hall, H.E., Jr. "The relationship between leadership andempathy."
Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1954, 49, 156-157.
- Bellah, J.W. "This platoon will ... ." Infantry Journal, 1943,
- Bellingrath, G.C. "Qualities associated with leadership in the extracurricularactivities
of the high school." New York: Columbia University TeachersCollege Contributions,
No. 399, 1930.
- Bellows, R. Creative Leadership. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1959.
- Belyakov, V. V., & Raymond, W. J. Constitution of the Russian Federation.
- Benedict, M. A. A Compromise of Principle. New York: 1974.
- Benjamin, P. "Naval promotion from the ranks." Independent, 1901,No.
- Benjamin, P. "How the need for naval officers should be met." Independent,54,
- Benne, K.D., & Sheats, P. "Functional roles of group members." Journalof
Social Issues, 1948, 4, 41-44.
- Bennett, J.T. & Johnson, M.H. "The definition of Bureaucracies by bureaucraticdefinitions."
Bureaucrat, 1978, 7, 77+.
- Bennett, L. H. "Command leadership and the black serviceman." U.S. NavalInstitute
Proceedings, 1971, 97, 42-47.
- Bennett, T.R., III The Leader Looks at the Process of Change. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1961.
- Bennett, T.R., III The Leader Looks at Planning for Change. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1969.
- Bennis, W.G. The Unconscious Conspiracy: Why Leaders Can't Lead.New
York: AMACOM, 1976.
- Bennis, W.G. "Leadership theory and administrative behavior: the problemof
authority." Administrative Science Quarterly, 1959, 4, 259-301.
- Bennis, W.G. "Revisionist theory of leadership." Harvard Business Review,39,
- Bennis, W.G. "Leadership: a beleaguered species?" Organizational Dynamics,5,
- Bennis, W.G. et al. (eds.) Leadership and Motivation: Essays of DouglasMcGregor.
Cambridge, Connecticut: MIT Press, 1966.
- Bensman, J. & Givant, M. "Charisma and Modernity: the use and abuseof
a concept." Social Research, 1975, 42, 570-614.
- Benson, W.S. The Merchant Marine. New York: Macmillan, 1924.
- Bentz, V.S. "The Sears experience in the investigation, description andprediction
of executive behavior." In F.R. Wickert and D.D. McFarland (eds.),Measuring
Executive Effectiveness. New York: Meredith PublishingCo., 1967.
- Berger, P.K. & Ivancevich, J.M. "Birth order and managerial achievement."Academy
of Management Journal, 1973, 16, 515-518.
- Berger, P.L. "Charisma and religious innovation: the soviet location ofIsraelite
prophecy." American Sociological Review, 1963, 28, 940-950.
- Berkowitz, L. "An exploratory study of the roles of aircraft commanders."USAF
Human Resources Research Center Research Bulletin No. 53-65,
- Berkowitz, L. "Group standards, cohesiveness, and productivity." HumanRelations,
1954, 7, 509-519.
- Berkowitz, L. "Group norms among bomber crews: patterns of perceived crewattitudes,
'Active ' crew attitudes, and crew liking related to aircreweffectiveness
in Far Eastern combat." Sociometry, 1956, 19, 141-153.
- Berkowitz,L. "Social desirability and frequency of influence attempts asfactors
of leadership choice." Journal of Personality, 1956, 24,
- Berkowitz, L. & Haythorn, W. The relationship of dominance to leadershipchoice.
Randolph AFB, Texas: Crew Research Laboratory, AF Personneland Training Research
Center, 1955 (CRL-LN 55-8).
- Berkun, M., & Meeland, R. "Sociometric effects of race and combat performance."Sociometry,
1958, 21, 145-149.
- Berman, L.M. Supervision, Staff Development, and Leadership. Columbus,Ohio:
- Berne, E. The Structure and Dynamics of Organizations and Groups.:
- Bessemer, D.W. & Rivers, L.C. "Introduction to psychology and leadership:typological
analysis of student characteristics, preliminary report." NavalAcademy, Annapolis,
Maryland: Westinghouse Learning Corp., 1969.
- Bessemer, D.W. & Rivers, L.C. "Introduction to psychology and leadership:report
of Phase II research findings." Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland:Westinghouse
Learning Corp., 1970.
"Better training for squadron chiefs." Air Force Times, 1977,
- Bettin, P.J. "The role of relevant experience and intellectual abilityin
determining the performance of military leaders." Proceedings ofthe Ninth
Symposium on Psychology in the Department of Defense, 18-20April 1984,
United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado,338-342.
- Betts, C.L. Total Management: The Spiritual dimension. Maxwell
AFB,Alabama: Air University, Air Command and Staff College, 1976.
- Betts, J.W. "Overcoming company grade mentality." Army Logistician,10,
- Bevelas, A. & Lewin, K. "Training in democratic leadership." Journalof
Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1942, 37, 115-119.
- Bey, D.R. "Change of command in combat: a locus of stress." AmericanJournal
of Psychiatry, 1972, 129, 698-702.
- Bezymenski, L. The Death of Adolf Hitler. New York: 1968.
- Bialer, S. Stalin and His Generals: Soviet Military Memoirs of WorldWar
II. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press.
Bibliographic Index: A cumulative bibliography of bibliographies.New
York: H.W. Wilson, 1937 to date.
- Biddle, B.J., French, J.R.P., & Moore, J.V. "Some aspects of leadershipin
the small work group." Ann Arbor: University of Michigan, Institutefor Social
Research, 1953 (Mimeo.).
- Biderman, A.D. March to Calumny. New York: Macmillan Company, 1963.
- Biderman, A.D. "Where do they go from here -- retired military in America."Annals
of the American Academy of Political and Social Sciences,406, 141-161.
- Bidwell, C.E. "The young professional in the army." American SociologicalReview,
1961, 26, 360-372.
- Bieri, L. The Changing Role of Military Force and the Professional Soldier.Washington,
D.C.: National War College, 197- (unpublished paper).
- Bierwirth, J.A. Uses of Behavioral Management Findings Vs. AuthoritarianManagement
in the Air Force. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Air University,
- Bigelow, J. Memoir of the Life and Public Services of John Charles Fremont.New
York: H.W. Derby & Co., 1856.
- Bigler, R.R. Der einsame Soldat. Eine soziologische Deutung dermilitarischen
Organisation. Frauenfeld, 1964.
- Bijl Mz., A. De Nederlandse Convooidienst. De maritieme beschermingvan
koopvaardij en zeevisserij tegen piraten en oorlogsgevaar in het verleden,Den
- Billington, M. L. New Mexico's Buffalo Soldiers 1866-1990. Niwot:
University Press of Colorado, 1991.
- Bingham, W.V.D. & Moore, B.V. How To Interview. 4th edition;New
York: Harper, 1959.
- Bird, A.M. "Team structure and success as related to cohesiveness and leadership."Journal
of Social Psychology, 1977, 103, 217-223.
- Bird, K.W. "Leadership during peacetime - service for military and stateyears
later - German - Demaiziere, U. (En)." Armed Forces and Society,3,
- Birkhimer, W.E. The Law of Appointment and Promotion in the regularArmy
of the United States, A Paper Read Before the United States MilitaryInstitute.
West Point, New York: A.G. Sherwood, 1880.
- Bishop, D.M. "Leadership, followership, and unit spirit: reflections ona
year in Vietnam." Air Force Magazine, 1977, 60, 52-56.
- Bishop, D.W. et al. The Effects of Inter-group Competition in QuasitherapeuticLeaders
on the Adjustment of Small Military Groups. Urbana, Illinois:University
of Illinois Technical Report No. 20, 1966.
- Bittel, L.R. What Every Supervisor Should Know. 3rd edition; NewYork:
- Bixler, J.S. Education for Adversity. Cambridge: Harvard UniversityPress,
- "Black soldiers' problems traced to poor leadership." Christian ScienceMonitor,
July 19, 1976, p. 13.
- Blackley, R. Modern Revolutions and Revolutionists: A Bibliography.Santa
Barbara, California: ABC-Clio, 1976.
- Blades, J.W. Rules for Leadership: Improving Unit Performance.
Washington,: National Defense University Press, 1986.
- Blades, J.W. & Fiedler, F.E. "The influence of intelligence, task ability,and
motivation on group performance." Arlington, Virginia: Advanced ResearchProject
Agency, 1976 (Technical Report 76-78).
- Blades, J.W. "The influence of intelligence, task ability, and motivationon
group performance." Dissertation Abstracts International, 1976.
- Blair, C., Jr. Beyond Courage. New York: David McKay Co., Inc.,
- Blair, J.A. "Improving professional military education: is the 2 schoolsystem
an answer?" Air Command and Staff College thesis, June l966.
- Blair, J.D. "Social and value integration of youth in the military." Youthand
Society, 1978, 10, 33-46.
- Blair, J.D., & Segal, D.R. Perceptions and Evaluations of the ArmyTraining
System. Washington, D.C.: Army Training Study, 1978.
- Blake, R.R. & Mouton, J.S. The Managerial Grid. Houston: GulfPublishing,
- Blake, R.R. & Mouton, J.S. "Managerial facades." Advanced ManagementJournal,
1966, 31, 29-36.
- Blake, R.R. & Mouton, J.S. "Military leadership in the post-70's."In
Leadership in the Post-70's. West Point, New York: The UnitedStates
Military Academy, 1969.
- Blake, R.R., Mouton, J.H., & Bryson, D.E. "The military leadershipgrid."
Military Review, 1968, 47, 3-18.
- Blanchard, K.H. & Hersey, P. "A leadership theory for educational administrators."Education,
1970, 90, 303-309.
- Blanchard, R. The Leader Looks at the Consultative Process. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1969.
- Blank, J.E. A Leadership Pattern for Army Combat Arms Commanders.Maxwell
AFB, Alabama: Air University, Air War College, 1977.
- Blankenship, V., & Miles, R.E. "Organizational structure and managerialdecision-making."
Administrative Science Quarterly, 1968, 13, 106-120.
- Blankfort, M. The Big Yankee. Boston: Little, Brown, 1947.
- Blansfield, M.G. The Leader Looks at the Appraisal of Personnel.Washington,
D.C.: Leadership Resources, 1969.
- Blau, P.M. Exchange and Power in Social Life. New York: Wiley,
- Blau, P.M. "Patterns of interaction among a group of officials in a governmentagency."
Human Relations, 1954, 7, 337-348.
- Blau, P.M. & Scott, W.R. Formal Organizations: A Comparative Approach.San
Francisco: Chandler, 1962.
- Bleda, P.R., Gitter, G.A., & D'Agostino, R.B. "Enlisted men's perceptionsof
leader attributes and satisfaction with military life." Journal ofApplied
Psychology, 1977, 62, 43-49.
- Bleda, P.R., Gitter, G.A., & D'Agostino, R.B. "Perceptions of leaderattributes
and satisfaction with military life." Alexandria, Virginia:Army Research Institute
for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, 1978.
- Bletz, D.F. The Role of the Military Professional in U.S. Foreign Policy.New
York: Praeger, 1972.
- Bletz, D.F. "The modern major general (vintage 1980)." Parameters,4,
- Blewett, E.Y. "Educating the war leader." Coast Artillery Journal,82,
- Bloch, W. Die Condottieri: Studie uber die sogenannten 'unblutigen Schlachten'.Berlin,
- Blok, P.J. Michiel Adriaanszoon de Ruyter. Den Haag, 1947.
- Bloustein, E.J. "Leadership: We want it! We need it! We fear it!" FieldArtillery
Journal, 1978, 46, 45-47.
- Bluemel, C.S. War, Politics, and Insanity. Second edition; Denver,Colorado:
World Press, 1948.
- Blum, R.H. "The choice of American heroes and its relationship to personalitystructure
in an elite." Journal of Social Psychology, 1958, 48,
- Blumenfeld, C.H. "Watch your language, soldier." Military Review,33,
- Blumenson, M. Bloody River. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1970.
- Blumenson, M. "Relieved of command." Army, 1971, 21, 30-37.
- Blumenson, M. & Stokesbury, J.L. Masters of the Art of Command.Boston:
Houghton Mifflin, 1975.
- Boardman, M.K. et al. "Life expensive patterns and development of collegeleadership
roles." Psychological Reports, 1972, 31, 333-334.
- Boatner, M. The Civil War Dictionary. New York: 1959.
- Boer, M.G. de, "Een kwarteeuw admiraliteitsleven." Tijdschrift voor geschiedenis,blz.
- Boer, M.G. de, Tromp en de Armada van 1639. Amsterdam: 1941.
- Boer, M.G. de, Het Proefjaar van M.H. Tromp 1637-1639. Amsterdam,
- Boer, M.G. de, Tromp en de Duinkerkers. Amsterdam, 1949.
- Bogardus, E.S. Fundamentals of Social Psychology. 3rd edition;
NewYork: Appleton-Century Crofts, 1942.
- Bohannan, P. (ed.) Law and Warfare: Studies in the Anthropology of Conflict.New
- Bolander, L.H. "The Naval academy course in naval leadership." Shipmate,11,
- Boldt, R.F., & Seidman, D. Aptitude Distribution in the Combat Arms.Washington,
D.C.: U.S. Department of the Army, Adjutant General's Office,Personnel Research
Branch, Technical Research Report 1119, 1958.
- Boles, H. & Davenport, J.A. Introduction to Educational Leadership.New
York: Harper & Row, 1975.
- Bonapart, N. Memoirs of the History of France During the Reign of Napoleon.Dictated
by the Emperor at Saint Helena to the Count de Montholon, HistoricalMiscellanies.
English translation; London: Henry Coburn & Company,
- Bonapart, N., I Napoleon and Modern War; His Military Maxims. revisedand
annotated by C. H. Lanza; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Military ServicePublishing
- Bond, P.S. "The nature of leadership." Military Engineer, 1938,89-96.
- Bonner, J., Jr. "Leadership for lawmen." FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin,42,
- Bons, P.M., Bass, A.R., & Kormorita, S.S. "Changes in leadership styleas
a function of military experience and type of command." PersonnelPsychology,
1970, 23, 551-568.
- Bons, P.M. & Fiedler, F.E. "The effect of changes in command environmenton
the behavior of relationship - and task - motivated leaders." Seattle,Washington:
University of Washington, 1975 (Technical Report 75-63).
- Bons, P.M. & Fiedler, F.E. "Changes in organizational leadership andthe
behavior of relationship - and task - motivated leaders." AdministrativeScience
Quarterly, 1976, 21, 453-473.
- Booth, D.P. "The development and training of the soldier's leaders." Army,7,
- Bord, R.J. "Toward a social-psychological theory of charismatic socialinfluence
processes." Social Forces, 1975, 53, 485-497.
- Borden, D.F. "Leader - superior stress, personality, job satisfaction,and
performance: another look at the interrelationships of some old constructsin
the modern large bureaucracy." Dissertation Abstracts International,40, .
- Borg, W. R. "The behavior of emergent and designated leaders in situationaltests."
Sociometry, 1957, 20, 95-104.
- Borg, W.R., Tupes, E.C., & Carp, A. "Relationships between physicalproficiency
and measures of leadership and personality." Personnel Psychology,12,
- Borg, W.R. "Prediction of small group role behavior from personality variables."Journal
of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1960, 60, 112-116.
- Borgotta, E.F. "Analysis of social interaction: actual, role playing, andprojective."
Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 1955, 51,
- Borgotta, E.F. "Attitudinal concomitants to military statuses." SocialForces,
1955, 33, 342-347.
- Borgotta, E.F. & Bales, F.R. "Task and accumulation of experience asfactors
in the interaction of small groups." Sociometry, 1953, 16,
- Borgotta, E.F., Couch, A.S., & Bales, F.R. "Some findings relevantto
the great man theory of leadership." American Sociological Review,19,
- Borgotta, E.F. & Eschenbach, A.E. "Factor analysis of Rorschach variablesand
behavior observations." Psychological reports, 1955, 1, 129-136.
- Borklund, C.W. "Defense planning - budgeting - acquisition: why strategyis
back up front." Government Executive, 1981, 13, 17-26.
- Bosscher, Ph.M. Capita Selecta uit de Gescheidenis van het Zeewezen,meer
in het bijzonder uit de geschiedenis van de marine - organisatie enuit de
geschiedenis van de oorlogvoering ter zee. , 1971.
- Botsford, J.B. "Piracy." Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, ledruk.
- Bottomore, T.B. Elites and Society. New York: Penguin, 1966.
- Boucher, J.A. "Leadership talent search: private to sergeant." FieldArtillery
Journal, 1977, 45, 32-36.
- Boudreau, R.A. "Determining Desirable Criteria for Success as a CampusDirector
at Fisher Junior College." Unpublished doctoral dissertation,Boston University
School of Education, 1981.
- Boulle, P. The Bridge Over the River Kwai. New York: Vanguard Press,
- Bourne, P.G., Rose, R.M., & Mason, J.W. "17-OHCS levels in combat."Archives
of General Psychiatry, 1968, 14, 135-140.
- Bourne, P.G. Men, Stress and Vietnam. Boston: Little, Brown, 1970.
- Bowen, T.W. "Of things, ideas, and people." Armor, 1963, 72, 40-41.
- Bowen, T.W. "The volunteer army, motivation, and you." Armor, 1973,14-16.
- Bowers, D.G. "Self esteem and supervision." Personnel Administration,27,
- Bowers, D.G. The Effects of Group Composition and Work Situation UponPeer
Leadership. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Institutefor
Social Research, 1969.
- Bowers, D.G. "Navy manpower: values, practices, and human resources requirements."Ann
Arbor, Michigan: Institute for Social Research, 1975.
- Bowers, D.G., & Seashore, D.G. "Predicting organizational effectivenesswith
a four-factor theory of leadership." Administrative Science Quarterly,11,
- Bowers, D.G., & Seashore, D.G. "Peer leadership within work groups."Personnel
Administration, 1967, 30, 45-50.
- Bowers, R. V. (ed.) Studies in Organizational Effectiveness. Washington,:
Air Force Office of Scientific Research, 1962.
- Bowler, R.T. & Bowler, D.N. "The naval officer: manager or leader?"US
Naval Institute Proceedings, 1975, 101, 64-67.
- Bowman, D.C. "Whatever turns you on." Infantry, 1975, 65, 24-27.
- Boyatzis, R.E. The Competent Manager. New York: Wiley, 1981.
- Boyden, W.G. "Leadership." Infantry Journal, 1923, 22, 280-281.
- Braam, A. van "Vrijheid en bureaucratisering in het intellectuele beroep."Tijdschrift
voor vennootschappen, 1968, blz. 196-208.
- Bracken, P. Command and Control of Nuclear Forces. New Haven, Connecticut:
- Bradburd, Z.S. "Back to college: mid-career executives study liberal arts."Finance
Magazine, 1977, , 37-40.
- Bradbury, J.E. "Relationship of selected variables to Air Force leadershipof
Air Science IV students at Indiana University." Bloomington, Indiana:Indiana
- Braddy, H. Pershing's Mission in Mexico. El Paso: Texas WesternPress,
- Bradford, L.P. Making Meetings Work: A Guide for Leaders and Group Members.CA:
University Associates, 1976.
- Bradford, Z.B., Jr. "U.S. tactics in Vietnam." Military Review,,
- Bradford, Z.B., & Brown, F.J. The United States Army in Transition.Beverly
Hills, California: Sage Publications, 1973.
Bradford, Z.B., Jr. & Murphy, J.R. "A new look at the military profession."Army,
1969, , 58-64.
- Bradley, James. The Confederate Mail Carrier or From Missouri to Arkansas,
through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. An Unwritten Leaf of
the "Civil War." Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, Inc., 1894, 1990.
- Bradley, O.N. A Soldier's Story. New York: Henry Holt, 1951.
- Bradley, O.N. "Leadership training and national security." Army InformationDigest,
1952, 8, 35-38.
- Bradley, O.N. "Leadership." Military Review, 1960, 46, 48-53.
- Bradley, O.N. "Leadership." Parameters, 1972, 1, 2-8.
- Bradley, O.N., and Blair, C. A General's Life. New York: Simon
- Bramson, L., and Goethals, G. Studies from Psychology, Sociology andAnthropology.
New York: 1964.
- Brant, Marley. The Outlaw Youngers, a Confederate Brotherhood.
New York: Madison Books, 1992.
- Brashears, B.F. "Building a communications feedback system in the militaryorganization."
- Braun, A. "Assessing supervisory training needs and evaluating effectiveness."Training
and Development Journal, 1979, 3-10.
- Braun, D.D. "Alienation and participation: a replication comparing leadersand
the ' mass.'" Journal of Political and Military Sociology, 1976,245-259.
- Braun, S. Seven Heroes; Medal of Honor Stories of War in the Pacific.New
York: Putnam, 1965.
- Braxton, R.B., Jr., & Crosby, W. L., Jr. "Comparative analysis of resultsusing
three leadership style measurement instruments." Wright-PattersonAFB, Ohio:
Air Force Institute of Technology, School of systems and logistics,
- Bray, D.W., Campbell, R.J., & Grant, D.C. Formative Years in Business:A
Longterm AT&T Study of Managerial Lives. New York: Wiley, 1974.
- Breen, T.H. The Character of the Good Ruler: Puritan Political Ideasin
New England. : Norton, 1974.
- Brehl, T.B. The Quiet Warrior: A Biography of Admiral Raymond A. Spruance.Boston:
Little, Brown, 1974.
- Brehman, G.E., Jr. "A Note on the Relationship of the Interaction PotentialInventory
to Peer Ratings of Leadership and Other Naval Aviation CadetCriteria." Pensacola,
Florida: Naval School of Aviation Medicine, 1957.
- Breihan, Carl W. Quantrill and his Civil War Guerrillas. New York:
Promontory Press, 1959.
- Breihan, Carl W. Ride the Razor's Edge, The Younger Brothers Story.
Gretna, LA: Pelican Publishing Company, 1992.
- Brethower, K.S., & Runnlu, G.A. "Evaluating training." Trainingand
Development Journal, 1979, , 14-22.
- Brett, G.H. "Personal Conduct." In The Air Force Officer's Guide.New
York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1952.
- Bridge, J. Managerial Decision Making. New York: Wiley, 1975.
- Brier, J. K. "What can an armor officer learn in Korea?" Armor,62,
- Brill, N.Q., & Beebe, G.W. "A follow up study of war neuroses." VAMedical
"The British army staff." Military Review, 1952, 32, 3-13.
- Britton, Wiley. Memoirs of the Rebellion on the Border. Florissant,
MO: Inland Printer Ltd., 1863.
- Brodtman, E. erfolgreiche Betriebs und Unternehmensfuerung. : InternationalSchool
Book Service, 1974.
- Bronsart von Schellendorff, P. The Duties of the General Staff.4th
edition; London: HMSO, 1905.
- Brooks, L.P., Jr. "Surface ship command and qualifications: who makes it?"U.S.
Naval Institute Proceedings, 1979, 105, 58-65.
- Brooten, D.A. Leadership for Change: A Guide for the Frustrated Nurse.:
- Bronzo, A.F., & Baer, D.J. "Leadership and bureaucratic tendency measuresas
predictors of freshman dropouts from AFROTC." Psychological Reports,22,
- Brophy, Patrick. Bushwackers of the Border. Nevada, MO: Vernon
County Historical Society, 1980.
- Brotz, H. & Wilson, E.K. "Characteristics of military society." AmericanJournal
of Sociology, 1946, 51, 371-375.
- Brown, A. The Armor of Organization. New York: Hibbert, 1953.
- Brown, C.R. "Task NCO." Army, 1960, 10, 23-28.
- Brown, D.I. & Smolinski, R.A. "The contingency model of leadershipeffectiveness
and its implications for military managers." Wright-PattersonAFB, Ohio: Air
Force Institute of technology, Ohio School of systems andLogistics, 1974.
- Brown, D.S. The Leader Looks at Authority and Hierarchy. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1961.
- Brown, D.S. "Subordinate's views of ineffective executive behavior." Academyof
Management Journal, 1964, 7, 288-299.
- Brown, D.S. The Leader Looks at Authority and Responsibility. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1969.
- Brown, D.S. The Leader Looks at Decision Making. Washington, D.C.:Leadership
- Brown, F. Management Concepts and Practice. Washington, D.C.: IndustrialCollege
of the Armed Forces, 1967.
- Brown, F. & Bradford, Z. The U.S. Army in Transition. BeverlyHills,
California: Sage Publications, 1973.
- Brown, F.L. & Jacobs, T.O. "Developing the critical combat performancerequired
of the rifle platoon leader." Arlington, Virginia: Human RelationsResearch
Organization, 1970 (Technical Report No. 70-5).
- Brown, F.J. "The army and society." Military Review, 1972, 52,
- Brown, G.S. "Our people in uniform." Air Force Policy Letter for Commanders,April
1977, Supplement #4, 34-40.
- Brown, G.S. "Today's military officer." Air Force Policy Letter forCommanders,
November 1977, Supplement #11, 21-24.
- Brown, H. "Today's Air Force Officer." Air Force Policy Letter for Commanders,September
1977, Supplement #9, 2-6.
- Brown, H. Thinking About National Security: Defense and Foreign Policyin
a Dangerous World. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, .
- Brown, J.D. The Human Nature of Organizations. New York: AMACOM,
- Brown, L. "U.S. Grant, an example of leadership." Military Engineer,20,
- Brown, R.C. "Social attitudes of military generals, 1898-1940." Madison,Wisconsin:
University of Wisconsin, 1951 (Ph.D. Thesis).
- Brown, R.J., & Somerville, J.D. "Evaluation of management developmentprograms:
an innovative approach." Personnel, 1977, , 28-39.
- Browne, M.W. The New Face of War. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill,
- Browning, Robert M. Jr.: U.S. Merchant Vessel War Casualties of World
War II. Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, MD, 1996. ISBN 1-557-50087-8.
- Brownlee, Richard S. Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy, Guerrilla Warfare
in the West, 1861-1865. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press,
- Bruenner, W. "A comparison of professional military educational systems."Air
University Review, 1971, , 53-62.
- Bruenner, W. "Military affairs abroad: a comparison of professional militaryeducational
systems." Air University Review, 1971, 22, 53-62.
- Bruijn, J.R. De Admiraliteit van Amsterdam in Rustige jaren, 1713-1751.Amsterdam,
- Brugioni, Dino A. The Civil War in Missouri As Seen From the Capital
City. Jefferson City, MO: Summers Publishing, 1987.
- Brumbaugh, R.B. "Authenticity and theories of administrative behavior."Administrative
Science Quarterly, 1971, 16, 108-112.
- Brunson, R.R. "Perceptual skills in the corporate jungle." PersonnelJournal,
1972, 51, 50-53.
- Bruyere, R. la, La Marine de Richelieu. Maille-Breze, General desGaleres,
Grand Admiral (1619-1649). Paris: , 1945.
- Bryan, J.F. & Locke, E.A. "Parkinson's Law as a goal-sitting (sic)phenomenon."
Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 1967,258-275.
- Bryant, A. "Comment on Field Marshal Montgomery's speech at the MansionHouse,
Spring, 1948." In The Illustrated London News, May 8, 1948,
- Bryant, G.W. "Ideal leader behavior descriptions of appointed and sociometricallychosen
student leaders." Denton, Texas: North Texas State University, 1968.
- Bryant, H.F. "Responsibility and command." Military Review, 1954,60-62.
- Bryant, L.E. & Bennett, J.B. "Air Force procurement contracting officers'leadership
style: a comparative analysis of measurement instruments." WrightPatterson
AFB, Ohio: Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio School ofSystems and Logistics,
- Buchanan, P.C. The Leader Looks at Individual Motivation. Washington,:
Leadership Resources, 1969.
- Buchter, R.F. "The education of the professional Soviet Air Force officer."Maxwell
Air Force Base, Alabama: Air Command and Staff College Thesis,
- Buck, J.H. (ed.) The Modern Japanese Military System. Beverly Hills,California:
Sage publications, 1975.
- Buck, J.H., & Korb, L.J. Military Leadership. Beverly Hills,California:
Sage Publications, 1981.
- Buckley, H.A. & Grunstad, N. "Concepts of leadership." In TRADOCLeadership
Conference Report. Fort Benning, Georgia: U.S. InfantrySchool, 1974.
- Bucknell, H. "Give of yourself, Captain." U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings,90,
- Buell, T.B. The Quiet Warrior: A Biography of Admiral Raymond A. Spruance.Boston:
Little, Brown & Co., 1974.
- Bullard, M.R. "Political cadre systems in the military." Command and StaffCollege,
- Bullard, R.L. American Soldiers also Fought. New York: Longmans,Green
and Co., 1936.
- Bullock, A. Hitler: A Study in Tyranny. New York: 1964.
- Burby, R.J. Fundamentals of Leadership: a guide for the supervisor.Reading,
Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1972.
- Burchard, W.W. "Role conflicts of military chaplins." American SociologicalReview,
1954, 19, 528-535.
- Burckhardt, C.J. Richelieu and his age. London, 1965.
- Bureau of Naval Personnel. "Utilization of graduates of the Petty OfficerLeadership
Schools." Bureau of Naval Personnel Memorandum, Pers-152Memo 60-4,
- Bureau of Navigation. "Leadership, study of command." Washington, D.C.:Government
Printing Office, 1931.
- Burgess, M.E. Negro Leadership in a Southern City. : College andUniversity
- Burke, W.W. "Leadership behavior as a function of the leader, the followers,and
the situation." Journal of Personality, 1965, 33, 60-81.
- Burke, P.J. "Participation and leadership in small groups." AmericanSociological
Review, 1974, 39, 832-843.
- Burne, A. Lee, Grant and Sherman: A Study in Leadership in the 1864-1965Campaign.
New York: Scribners, 1939.
- Burne, A.H. Talks on Leadership Addressed to Young Officers. London:Rees,
- Burns, E.L.M. Manpower in the Canadian Army 1939-1945. Toronto:Clarke
- Burns, J.H. Psychology and Leadership. Fort Leavenworth, Kansas:Command
and General Staff School Press, 1934.
- Burns, J.M. Leadership. New York: Harper & Row, 1978.
- Burns, M.J. The Black United States Marine: A Challenge for the 1970's.Newport,
Rhode Island: Naval War College, 1971.
- Burns, T. "Directions of activity and communication in a departmental executivegroup."
Human Relations, 1954, 7, 73-97.
- Burrell, S.A. "Calvinism, Capitalism, and the middle classes, some afterthoughts
on an old problem." The Journal of Modern History, 1960, blz. 129-141.
- Burt, O. W. Negroes In The Early West. New York: Julian Messner,
- Burton, A. Black, Red, And Deadly: Black and Indian Gunfighters of
the Indian Territories. Austin, Texas: Eakin Press, 1991.
- Burwen, L.S. & Campbell, D.T. "The generality of attitudes toward authorityand
nonauthority figures." Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology,54,
- Busch, J.N. "The values of officer selection procedures and ethical dilemmasof
applied psychology," Newsletter of the International Test Commission,December,
No. 17, 15-20.
- Busch, O. Militarsystem und Sozialleben im alten Preussen 1713-18-7.Berlin,
"The business of training managers." Business Week, 1977, 106-107.
- Bussey, C.D. "Leadership is more than lip service." Army Digest,22,
- Butcher, H.C. My Three Years with Eisenhower: The Personal Diary ofCaptain
Harry C. Butcher, USNR, Naval Aide to General Eisenhower, 1942to 1945.
New York: Simon and Schuster, 1946.
- Butler, B.J. Autobiography and Personal Reminiscences of Major GeneralBenj.
F. Butler. Boston: A.M. Thayer & Co., 1892.
- Butler, M.C., & Jones, A.P. "Perceived leader behavior, individualcharacteristics,
and injury occurrence in hazardous work environments."Journal of Applied
Psychology, 1979, 64, 299-304.
- Butler, R.P. "Comparison of USMA graduates from the class of 1950 withgraduates
from other colleges on selected variables (a product appraisalreport." Military
Academy, West Point, NY: Office of Institutional Research,
- Butler, R.P. "Relationship between college performance and success as anarmy
officer." Journal of Vocational Behavior, 1976, 9, 385-391.
- Butler, R.P. & Cureton, E.E. "Factor analysis of small group leadershipbehavior."
Journal of Social Psychology, 1973, 89, 85-89.
- Butler, R.P. & Jaffee, C.L. "Effects of incentive, feedback, and mannerof
presenting the feedback on leader behavior." Journal of Applied Psychology,59,
- Butterfield, D.A. "Leadership and organizational effectiveness." In R.E.Mott
(ed.), Characteristics of Effective Organizations. New York:Harper
and Row, 1972.
- Byars, R.S. "Small-group theory and shifting styles of political leadership."Comparative
Political Studies, 1973, 5, 443-469.
- Byrd, W. E. Silent Pains. Brunswick Publishing.
- Byrne, D., Griffitt, W., & Golightly, C. "Prestige as a factor in determiningthe
effect of similarity-dissimilarity on attraction." Journal of Personality,34,
- Byth, C.W. "Leadership key to retention." Marine Corps Gazette,84-87.